Wednesday 22 August 2012

Baby messy play and messy meals!

I feel like a washing woman!

Niblet really seems to have found his appetite at the moment, and is making the most of the wheat - he ate THREE baby weetabix this morning - the serving suggestion is for one!  He then had quarter of an apple - making the most of his newly sprouted bottom teeth.

For lunch, we had seeded wraps, with ham and salad. He had some of the Redwood Cheezly Soya Free, which he seemed to enjoy. I tried a bit, and couldn't get past the chemically flavour that it had. I've yet to try it heated though, so I'm hoping the flavour might improve! It looks and feels like a Cheshire cheese, rather then a Cheddar. Coming from an area of Devon renowned for it's Cheddar, I might be a little picky!

For supper, following on for the wheat fest, we had lamb and mint burgers from our local butchers. They are lovely, but have rusk in them, so we haven't been able to eat them for months.

But what does all this have to do with washing, I hear you cry?! Well, the mess... his eating goes everywhere, in every inch of his body, in every crevice of the highchair and the table, on the carpet, the cushions and probably on the light fittings if he could reach... He doesn't mean to, but it just goes everywhere in his enthusiasm...I should buy shares in Persil for all the washing I have to do! (Not to mention the fact that we are using real nappies, so are having to wash them too!)

Messy Messy Messy

I decided that as I had so much washing to do, I should just make some more! I wanted to do some messy play with Niblet, and have seen some great ideas online. My favourite at the moment are some of these:


These great ideas come from Growing a Jeweled Rose, which is a blog about messy play, and ways to make it more approachable... My favourite of her ideas is doing messy play in the bath or sink, to reduce tidying up... so simple, yet so effective - it made it much easier to do messy play, and helps me to be less reluctant about it. Her website is: http://www.growingajeweledrose.com/


One of my other favourite sites is The Imagination Tree, which is about more than just messy play. It covers all sorts of things to do with your little one, from arts and crafts, through to sensory play and discovery boxes / treasure baskets. It's another of those sites that you read, and wonder how on earth she finds so many amazing ideas whilst being a Mummy. Her website is: http://www.theimaginationtree.com/

One idea that keeps popping up online is making goop, gloop, sludge, whatever you want to call it, the mixture of cornflour and water (with colouring sometimes added). It makes use of the fixatropic nature of cornflour, allowing it to appear solid when prodded, rolled or poked, and then liquid afterwards. It's a great substance, but not so great when your baby has a corn allergy. I ummed and ahhhed for a while about what I could use instead... My original idea was rice flour, but they I thought that might be too grainy, and not smooth enough. So, I looked in my cupboard and spotted the potato flour... It has the same texture, so I thought it might react in the same way... I was right! It did! It was great....

 In a nice big bubbly sink, discovering the tap, and learning how it works!
 Yum! What's this gooey pink stuff? Shall I eat it? I know I've just had my lunch Mummy, but I still want more....

 Now, if I put the whole bowl into the sink, and add bubbles, how does it taste? Hmm. Pink. What about if I add the sieve to the mix?








Niblet did spend most of the time trying his best to eat it, but he also really enjoyed grabbing handfuls of it, and watching it run away again. I'm so glad I found a corn free alternative to make gloop!

No comments:

Post a Comment