Sunday 29 July 2012

Something good amidst the frustration


I am getting so frustrated about my diet at the moment. I miss all my favourite foods. I know that I need to change my mindset, and start embracing the new way of eating, but it's just so hard.


It's just not fair.


We went to a local market today, and there was a lovely smelling (and looking) food fair too. My husband succumbed to the 'All you can drink gravy' from the Dumpling man that was there, and it looked so good. I just kept borrowing the tub so that I could have a smell of it, as that is as close to eating it as I was going to get! It was a beef filled dumpling, with peas, gravy, horseradish cream and gherkins.


Watching him eat it was torture. I'm so jealous, and frustrated that he can still eat what he wants, without a care for me, and what I can and can't eat. It's bad enough that he has all these lovely, forbidden foods in the fridge that he can take for lunches at work, but to sit there in front of me and eat it all just seemed so mean...


Hmm. This is turning into too much of a rant, when there have been some really good things going on. Maybe I need a Pollyanna moment, and start thinking about what there is to be glad about.


  1. Niblet is slowly but surely gaining weight. He's a much happier chappy. He spends hours of the day giggling. Apparently me getting cross and shouting at Daddy is the pinnacle of funny.
  2. I've lost all of my baby weight, and more besides, without having to go to the gym!
  3. I'm eating new things that I would never have tried before, and loving them (mostly) Hello Falafel, where have you been all my life?
  4. I'm going to appreciate real food so much when I can eat it again! 
As the dumpling man today said - the food world is a little grey at the moment, but one day I'll get handed a pack of felt tips...


I think I might have been handed a colour or two over the past few days, in the shape of two fantastic cookbooks, both by Elizabeth Gordan. From her book 'Allergy-free Desserts', from which I have fallen madly, head-over-heels in love with her chocolate crinkle cookies.. they are amazing. I added a bar of dark chocolate, and didn't roll them in sugar, and they taste fantastic. They are like the best sort of cookies that you can buy.


The second book that I bought was her 'The complete allergy free comfort foods cookbook'. I made her pop-tart style breakfast things... I can't remember what she called them. I made one fatal error with them. I looked at how much jam she said to put in the middle of each (1 1/2tsp) and thought 'that doesn't look enough'.... it would have been.  I put nearer two desertspoons in... needless to say they are REALLY sweet...That didn't stop me eating two one and a half of them...The pastry is so flaky - the addition of lard really makes it light and lovely. I would never have thought that the pastry was allergy free, but it is!


I might have to try making some of the pastry into gluten free 'croissants' and see what happens....


I sound like an advert for her, don't I?! I'm not, but I've really enjoyed being able to make most things in her books, with very few changes...

No comments:

Post a Comment